Big things have small beginnings. Likewise, I started off 3D scanning using only 1 single camera. Capturing heads, in fact. Next, I put 2 other cameras to use I had lying around from working as a photographer. Then, for a long time I used an 8 camera setup, that I took all over Europe for scanning jobs. From there I jumped to 18 cameras and so on. I was, however, using a turntable and for scanning people, that isn’t ideal. A full body scanner easily houses 100 cameras. With that as my goal, let me stipulate the road I took to building one…
Construction is key. From the very beginning, I chose a ceiling mount solution that rotated around a person, capturing as it went. I expanded the one arm scanner to a 4 arm solution. It is made out of Eurotruss components and a heavy-duty turntable that can handle 200 kg hanging weight.
It worked fine for many months, but it still wasn’t what I needed: a static scanner.
I came close with some semi static setups, that I employed for scanning facial expressions (face only) and butterfly wings. I learned a lot from these setups and from the quality I got, I had an idea what to expect from a full body scanner.
I gathered all my strength, built a strong pc and 3d printed adapter holders. It was time to build the Big project: a full body scanner. Before we continue, I have to say this: I did not get 100 cameras, like it was mentioned earlier. I settled on 64. I had done tests and that was the absolute minimum required. That said, let’s go on.
And there it is, a hanging but static 8 Pole, 64 Camera 3D Scanner. I also installed some atmospheric lighting to finish the look.
To close off, let me show some of the work I made using the scanner. Notice the dynamic poses and expressions that are all of a sudden possible.
Thanks for following me from 1 camera to 64 in 10 years time. I could have opted to take out a loan from the bank to get there much faster, but I took the slow road. Looking back, I have no regrets. However, I’m planning to add 4 more poles to add just a bit more viewpoints, taking away the need to sculpt away the occasional glitch.
See you in the next project!