Scanning clothing is not easy. For starters, the goal is to put the clothing on an A-Posed digital avatar. And there are no A-Posed mannequins, they are all in a running or standing pose. Faced with this difficulty, I bought a museum doll, with moveable joints. There were gaps at the joints, and sure I could cover them with tape, but it wasn’t ideal.
I heard of 3D printing, of course. But my focus was on 3D scanning and rendering, and so I had no experience. A few friends did soI knew the kind of printers there were. I decided I was going to 3D print my very own, life-size mannequin. My eye fell on a Creality 10S. It can print an area of 40 cm³. I designed 12 parts (Face, Torso, Hip, Arms, Legs, Hands, and Feet). The pieces were joined with LEGO TECHNIC pins. It works reasonably well, sometimes I use tape to strengthen the connection.
I started with a male Mannequin and later printed two female ones. I now have the perfect shape to put clothing on, with size Medium for Male and Small & Medium Female.
Clothing can now be scanned on the mannequin and isolated using Zbrush. The digital clothing fit nearly 100% to 3D avatar. From there, the clothing can be simulated in Marvelous Designer or Rigged and Skinned in DAZ Studio. Once the clothing moves along, I make shaders to mimic the original clothing’s appearance, then render them out using iRay.
Thanks for watching this topic. See you in the next project!